This chocolate cream pie has two types of chocolate in a creamy pudding, topped off with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate curls.
Two types of chocolate are used in the homemade pudding, so it has a rich chocolatey flavor. If you like your chocolate more on the mild side, you could use milk chocolate chips, or omit the cocoa powder. It’s up to you.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
To make this easy chocolate pie, start with a homemade pudding made on the stovetop. After whisking together the dry ingredients, you slowly whisk in the milk, cream, and egg yolks. Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat till it’s thick and creamy.
Next you pour the hot mixture over a bowl of butter and chopped chocolate, then stir till it is all melted. That chopped chocolate adds a depth of chocolate flavor, and also helps the pie set up.
Stir in some vanilla, and pour it into a pie shell. To finish it off, you add fresh whipped cream and some lovely chocolate curls.
Can chocolate pie be made in advance? you can make this pie in advance and typically make everything but the whipped cream. Store it by covering it in the fridge and right before serving adding the whipped cream and chocolate curls.
Can you make this with a graham cracker crust? Yes – and it’s delicious. Just buy a pre-made graham cracker crust at the store. It’s delicious and simple to use and tastes great with this chocolate cream.
How long does chocolate cream pie last? Freshly baked, it’s usually good in the fridge for 3-4 days after.
- 1 9 inch baked pastry shell
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine butter and chopped chocolate in a large glass or metal bowl; set aside
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Slowly whisk in the cream till mixture is completely smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks
- Add the milk and whisk till mixture is well blended. Turn heat to medium, cook and stir till mixture comes to a boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Place a strainer over the bowl of chocolate and butter. Pour hot chocolate mixture through the strainer to remove any lumps. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then stir till butter and chocolate are melted.
- Place bowl of pudding in a sink of ice water, stir gently for a few minutes till cooled to room temperature.
- Pour into pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, beat cream till soft peaks form. Beat in vanilla and powdered sugar. Spread over pie and garnish with chocolate curls if desired.